Cannabutter is a very popular ingredient in edibles. It’s the cannabutter that determines the strength of the edible. Using the following method will make sure you get every last drop of THC out of your cannabis. Although it does take longer to make cannabutter this way, it sure is worth it in the end.
Although brownies are a very popular choice, you can use cannabutter in anything that calls for butter in the recipe. You can make Cannabis Pasta and even delicious popcorn.
What You’ll Need:
- Cannabis (1 oz/lb. of butter)
- Double Boiler
- Soy Lecithin
- Baking Sheet
- Storage Container or Butter Mold
- Start by finely grinding your cannabis, the finer the better, then spread evenly on baking sheet and cover tightly with tinfoil.
- Place baking sheet in oven at 230°F for 45 mins. This turns non-psychoactive THC-A molecules into psychoactive THC.
- In a double boiler melt the butter and spoon out the foam that forms on top. This clarifies the butter and makes it easier to absorb all the THC.
- Now add the cannabis to the clarified butter along with 1 tablespoon soy lecithin per stick of butter used. Soy lecithin is an emulsifier which helps the THC absorb into the butter faster and more efficiently.
- If you are lucky enough to own one, now is the time to use your Magical Butter Machine.
- Keep at a full simmer for 30 mins. If it starts boiling, you’re burning off precious THC. Turn down the heat. Keeping under 250°F is a good rule.
- Turn off heat and pour into storage container and freeze overnight.
- The next day, melt your butter on low then strain out the cannabis using the cheesecloth and strainer.
- Store in air tight container in fridge up to 60 days or freezer for up to 6 months.
- Congrats! You have cannabutter that is up to 15x more potent than just throwing it the batch of brownies. When baking, keep the temperature as low as possible and you’ll cut the chances of burning off excess THC.