Weed tea can be made in a variety of ways from many different ingredients depending on your personal preferences. A few methods include:
- An infusion of dry flowers and water – typically less psychoactive because THC is not water-soluble.
- A mixture of cannabis infused with fat (e.g., coconut oil, butter, and/or dairy) combined with tea leaves and water to make a chai or latte-type drink.
- A mixture of regular tea leaves and water heated with an alcohol-based extraction (such as a tincture) added to it.
Unfortunately, making infused tea that provides the wide variety of medicinal, psychoactive, or recreational effects cannabis offers isn’t as simple as you might think. THC extraction can be a little finicky thanks to decarboxylation and solubility factors, but fear not: once you understand a few simple concepts, it’s all green fields from there!
During the process of decarboxylation, the non-psychoactive compound THCA is converted to the compound THC, activating its many medicinal and psychoactive properties. The heat applied to cannabis when smoking or vaporizing provokes decarboxylation without any extra effort on our part. When making edibles, the process naturally occurs when the cannabis is cooked with butter or oils, or when hash and kief are added to a favorite recipe and then heated on the oven.
If you choose to decarboxylate your cannabis using a heating method before adding it to the tea, remember that the optimal time and temperature for decarboxylation may vary depending on:
- The amount of moisture in your product.
- How much product you use.
- The type of oven you have access to (e.g., gas or electric).
There are many ways to make cannabis tea. Your preferred method will depend on:
- Skills and experience cooking with cannabis.
- Desired effects of the tea (medicinal or recreational).
- The potency and type of strain(s) used to make the product.
- Amount of cannabis (flowers or leaves) added to the product.
- Method of production and extraction of THC.
Weed Tea Recipe Tea Latte
Makes about 4 (6oz) servings
- 6 grams fresh ground flowers or 12 grams of fresh sugar/fan leaves, finely chopped (decarboxlyated, if desired)
- 2 cups hemp milk or other full fat milk (choose a milk with at least 8 grams of fat per serving)
- 1/8 stick of butter, softened or ¼ cup coconut oil, melted (fat helps to extract THC)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Dry tea leaves + tea-infuser (amount will vary)
- 1 cup water
- 4 tablespoons honey
- Dash of cinnamon or other spice for each serving
- Add the cannabis, hemp milk, fat of choice, and vanilla extract to a blender and mix thoroughly.
- Once blended, allow the mixture to sit for about 1 hour at room temperature.
- Add this mixture to a sauce pot, fill your metal tea infuser with your favorite tea leaf blend, add water and stir.
- Cover and simmer over med-low heat for 15-20 minutes, reducing heat if the mixture starts to boil.
- Remove from heat (strain the “pulp,” if desired).
- Pour into your favorite mug, add 1 tablespoon of honey and top with a dash of cinnamon.
- Your weed tea latte is ready serve!